Monday, August 20, 2012

Whe I Was a Child I Read Books

Marilynne Robinson has written a book of essays, When I was a Child I Read Books (Farrar, Straus, & Giroux, 2012, 206 pages.) Robinson is the author of three important novels, Housekeeping, Gilead, and Home. Gilead won the Pulitzer. She is also the author of two other books of essays, "The Death of Adam" and "The Absence of God." When I was a Child I Read books includes some well-written essays on economics, American history, American Literature and culture. She also draws from the thinking of nineteenth Century American authors, the Bible, and Reformed tradition. The reader can see from these essays that Robinson is well-read and an excellent thinker and can write in excellent prose that is intelligible to the general reader. See below for a link to a review of the book and a five minute audio of the author reading from her essay, "When I was a child I read books."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204603004577267631891481316.html


No comments:

Post a Comment