Monday, February 24, 2014

Reading Macbeth a Second Time

I read Macbeth a few months ago. I think this was the first time I have ever read it. When I finished reading it, I was a little disappointed. I thought there would be more to it. I have been reading Shakespeare plays off and on for several years. I think one cannot go wrong having Shakespeare as a regular part of the reading diet. If I could only take ten books with me to a desert Island, I would take the works of Shakespeare.

I decided a couple of weeks ago to give Macbeth a second try and I was quite surprised. There seemed to be a lot more to it on the second reading. There is Macbeth who is an ambitious man. He is tempted by a prophecy that he would be king. His wife assists him in evil actions. There is betrayal of people who trust him. There is guilt from wrong doing. In other words, there is a lot more to Macbeth than I saw in my first reading.

The question can be asked, why didn't I see this on a first reading. I know many people who never read a book more than once. This is probably sufficient for plot-driven books. However, authors like Shakespeare require repeated readings. My first reading of Macbeth showed me the lay of the land. I became familiar with the plot. On the second reading I was prepared to see beyond the plot.

Some of my favorite Shakespeare plays are King Lear, Othello, The Tempest, The Mid-Summer's Night Dream, Hamlet, and others. This might be a good time to read Shakespeare again if you have not read him in a long time. If you never have read Shakespeare before, it might be the time begin.

Once a year I lead a discussion of a Shakespeare play for a homeschooling group. It has been a great experience. I had a professor who would get together with his friends once a year and read through one of Shakespeare's plays with drinks.

I always like to watch a film version of Shakespeare's play after reading it. I enjoy seeing it performed live too. I find you can read and watch Shakespeare again and again with much enjoyment and great profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment